Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Think Kit wanted me to create a pie chart or graph of my year.  To be honest, I have no desire to make a graph unless I'm being paid to do one.  So I'm going to write about what I miss about being a kid vs. being an adult (inspired by a Reddit thread I read today).

1. NO bills!  Nothing can sour a day like getting a bill and knowing the next paycheck will be paying for that and others.  Which brings me to...
2. NO budgets!  I made some sweet moolah as a kid by dog walking/house sitting and that money was used for toys or the mall.   I didn't have to think twice about buying something because of other financial responsibilities and if I didn't have enough money, I couldn't get that toy.  No debt hanging over my head.
3. RECESS!  I miss a good game of four square, kickball, tag, or gossiping about boys I liked in a giant cement tube at the Burtsfield playground.                                          
4. Summer Vacation!  Besides chores, summer time meant freedom.  When we had a pool, it meant swimming almost everyday.  I'm lucky if I get in a pool twice over the summer now.
5. Being fed!  I hate grocery shopping and am not a big fan of cooking but if I don't plan out meals, then I don't get that meal.  Also, my mom is an amazing cook.
6. Saturday morning cartoons!  Maybe it's because I'm an adult now, but cartoons just don't entertain me like they did when I was little.  I know I'll have to be watching some cartoons when Raven gets a little older, but I LOVED Saturday mornings because the cartoons entertained me quite well.
7. Having innocent crushes!  I was shy when it came to boys when I was a girl, but daydreaming about them liking me was so exciting!  I may have written a few names down on a folder or two of the boys I liked.
8. Lots of TLC when I was sick!  Whenever I was hit with a cold or flu, my parents were awesome at trying to keep me comfortable and keeping me happy.  Not that I don't get TLC from my husband, but it's not the same as having your mom or dad around.
9. Children's books!  More specifically, I miss reading Boxcar Children and Goosebumps.  I don't even need to go into detail about how awesome those were.
10. Family road trips!  I always brought my walkman and a box full of cassette tapes.  I would take long naps, I even miss the petty little fights I'd get into with my sister in the car.

Overall, childhood was fantastic.  I am excited to be able to relive a little of it through my daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment