Sunday, December 14, 2014

Running is good for you but, God, at what cost?!

ThinkKit asked me what I discovered this year and the answer is I officially hate running.  This June, I made a commitment to run at least every other day and did so for about 2 months until I came down with bronchitis.  I hadn't been on a run for 4 years and it seemed so many people run and feel good doing it that I would give it a shot.  I got so focused on making this a hobby I even looked up 5k runs for the fall.  I did work my way up from running then walking to running a mile straight (which I haven't done in over 7 years).

I honestly do NOT know how people can or even want to run more than a mile.  I hate being out of breath, I hate how my knees and back feel like they are going to break, I hate how I look while running (my knees knock and I feel like Ricky Bobby, not knowing what to do with my hands).  I also find running really boring.  It's like I get bored while running but also feel like I'm hyperventilating and going to die no matter how long I've run.

I respect those who do run, I understand wanting to be in shape and the endorphins that come along with it.  But I will say this summer, I definitely discovered I will never be a long distance runner or even a runner in general.  I gave it a go, I gave it what I had.  I am just not a runner.  I prefer to get my exercise going on long fast paced walks, dancing for a half hour in my living room with my daughter, or doing some chores that are physically demanding (that kills 2 birds with 1 stone!).   So sorry folks, but you won't see me in any marathons probably ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment